Monday, June 8, 2015

The Keys and Tools of Robbery Prevention- (out of class presentation)


One of the main concerns in banking, which brings about constant training and conditioning of each branch employee, is robbery. Not necessarily for the loss of the money that gets taken, but more for the safety and security of the customers, employees and the financial institution itself.

I chose to present my "hip pocket" out of class speech to the members of my team at a local financial institution where I work. The topic was the keys and tools of robbery prevention, but also what happens after a robbery. My team members consist of men and women ranging in age from 18 to 55. My object was to help educate and increase the level of preparedness for what to do during and after a robbery.

At our financial institution we train monthly on how to recognize, deal, and cope with a robbery. We have implemented trainings and security measures that will ensure the safety of our customers and of our employees. The training and practice help to keep our procedures at the top of our minds. This allows each of us to be proactive and calm in the event we are presented with any situation that resembles an attempted robbery. Our motto is awareness equal prevention.

I presented a recent situation that occurred at our branch that showed the preparedness of our team in preventing a possible dangerous situation. I talked about the importance of the training that we have received, which aided in handling the situation at a remarkable level. The actions that were taken helped to prevent any situation form escalating into a more serious one.

I presented to my team specific training on key tools that are in place to help prevent a robbery. I also spoke about important professional habits that we could create to help to pay closer attention to every situation that may unfold. We specifically talked about "heads up 7up", a game that the majority of our team members played while in grade school. We use "heads of 7up" at our branch to ensure that every individual that enters our location is greeted, and that everyone is looking and aware of every situation.

The atmosphere of this situation, being around team members whom I interact with on a daily basis, was not very stressful. The nerves that usually accompany public speaking were not so intense which made standing up in front of everyone bearable.

I used my iPad with the application of keynote to present my slides. The difficulty of an iPad is that the slides are not very large. I found myself having to walk around the circle to give each team member a closer view of the images that I used to portray each topic. This may have been beneficial, where I usually find my legs gridlocked when presenting.  The small slides forced me to move about and interact in a more relaxed manner. The ease of the keynote application made it easy to hold the iPad in front of me and tap to move each slide forward. The position of the iPad also helped to prevent me from looking at the slides, allowing me to create eye contact with each team member.

The feedback that I received, I feel, was a mix of honest and helpful to biased due to their relationship with me. I feel that some understood the purpose of the audience evaluation, and some may not have felt that they could openly share. I received some good feedback, specifically that when presenting to individuals with such a large age range, it is important to be able to grab their attention at all age levels. Using tone and variation can help to capture an audience even when there are large age differences. I feel that was excellent feedback and is definitely something that I will implement and work to improve. I feel this is an area where great improvement is needed to create more meaning in my presentations.

I feel this was a great opportunity to receive feedback from individuals who have to sit through my speeches and trainings on a regular basis. I feel that this insightful feedback will help to improve the level and quality of the trainings and in the end help to have a team that is more prepared for every situation.  I will definitely continue to look for feedback to help better my team.

No comments:

Post a Comment